AGE SPECIFIC CLASSES FOR CHILDREN
TINY DRAGONS AGE 3 AND 4
Welcome to the Tiny Dragons Prep Course Program
Children between the ages of 3 & 4-years old are in a very distinct growing stage. They are embarking on new discoveries everyday and learning how to cope with all of the challenges. Their intellect, emotions, physical capabilities, and social competence all are growing at a rapid rate. So fast, that they often overlook what's important and can hardly tell the difference between right and wrong.
That's where the Tiny Dragons Prep Course Program comes into play. Our program was specially designed for the stages of development of 3 & 4-year olds. We collected scientific and psychological resources regarding this age group, and used that information to ensure that our program meets each child's characteristics and capabilities.
In theTiny Dragons Prep Course Program, each child will experience training that targets the skills that they are all currently developing; skills such as large and gross motor skills, behavior development, and character development. These skills have been broken down into age-speciﬁc exercises, games, activities, and drills that compliment their stage of development.
We use the martial arts approach to building their skills through these drills. The approach includes reinforcing good discipline, displaying confidence, and maintaining a positive attitude. Technical martial arts training is very limited when it comes to traditional moves and techniques. We reserve that portion of development for the older children who have set a clear foundation of what we consider the preliminary requirements to martial arts training.
With this in mind, we want to reinforce that martial arts training extends way beyond kicking and punching. That's why it may appear that your child is not learning enough martial arts in class, but the fact is they really are. The customary discipline protocol is martial arts. This includes standing at attention when commanded, responding with respect by saying “yes sir” and “yes Sensei”, bowing to the flags and each other, and maintaining a positive attitude. With professional Martial Artist as the role—mode| instructors, and the mixture of fun games and activities with basic kicks, strikes, and blocks during class, your child's first exposure to martial arts training will generate results!
Here is a brief list of what your child will learn:
1. Motor skill development
a. Throwing and executing
b. Pulling and retracting
c. Stepping (forward, backward, and side)
2. Behavior development
a. Learning how to take turns
b. Learn how to manage frustration
c. Learn how to be respectful when others are speaking
3. Character development
a. Learn how to make friends
b. Learn how to tell the truth
c. Learn how to share
d. Learn how to maintain good manners
How the Tiny Dragons Prep Course Program works
Sometimes parent's question why all their children seem to do is play. To a child, play is their work. It is essential to teach children how to learn through play. In the Tiny Dragons Prep Course Program, we use activities that they play in class as our way to teach them and build skill. The children learn important social skills and will begin to
recognize their own emotions as well as others. They also learn how to think through play, and come out with better physical capabilities in the process.
Through play, your child will learn how to master the skills incorporated in the age—appropriate activities. While participating in these activities, they will discover things that normally would not make sense to them. Participating in these activities, or playing, will help them make the adjustments necessary in their skill development and
bring them to a higher level of thinking, making play very educational and beneficial.
About our Tiny Dragons Instructors
Learning is a process. Our instructors understand the importance of the steps involved in learning and are capable to encourage and instruct a child while reinforcing the benefits to learning. Our instructors are trained to meet the needs of each individual, and how to reinforce proper development and behavior with little or no
disciplinary action. We have established a positive learning atmosphere that makes learning and growing fun.
Where will the Tiny Dragons Prep Course take my child's training
The Tiny Dragons Program provides consistency in each child's developmental process. Through consistency in their training, they will properly develop the skills and prepare them for the next program: The Little Dragons (ages 5 & 6). The foundation set through the Prep Course Program will enable them to successfully transfer to the next program with the proper abilities and mindset they need. Once they enter the Little Dragons Program, you will notice that they enter a new stage of development, which is the next hase of their growing process.
Your role as a parent
Self-esteem is very important in a child's everyday life. Self-esteem refers to how a person feels about themselves. To a 3 & 4-year old, self—esteem is something that they personally do not understand, but experience crossroads with everyday. As a child, self—esteem plays an important role in how well they learn and grow. Studies have shown that children who think very little of themselves may do inadequately socially, emotionally, at school, and in extracurricular activities. At the same token, those children who truly believe in themselves can really excel.
With this in mind, your role as a parent is to consistently encourage your child to stay focused, never give up, and always look for positive solutions. Now this may seem like a difficult task to do with a 3 & 4-year old, especially with their limited vocabulary. But self—esteem is a learned attitude, and the sooner you begin to teach your child about self-esteem, the better chance you have of it sticking with them.
Here are 3 easy steps to help your child “learn" self—esteem:
1. Avoid using the word “can’t”. When a child uses the word can't, he or she is expressing that they “don’t know how to” or “they don't want to”. Once they say the word “I can’t” they usually do not put any effort into the task at hand. Showing the child how to work through cha||enge’s, or showing the positive out of doing something will prove to be a very important lesson that they will need throughout their life.
2. Always have positive expectations for your child. If you express to your child that you believe they can do something, then they will probably think so too. Keep in mind that your positive expectations need to be age—appropriate and attainable. You must also back up your support by working with them to achieve their goals. Avoid giving up on your encouragement and efforts to help them. By showing consistency in your support, you will create consistency in their effort and attitude.
3. Teach your child how to see the positive side of his or her inadequacy. When your child is unsuccessful, help him or her discover from errors. Ask thought provoking questions such as “what would you do differently next time?” or “what do you think you need to work on to do even better?” Also let them know that you are proud of their efforts by saying things such as “you are already successful because you are showing courage by trying”. Reinforcement like this can make a big difference in how your child perceives challenges.
with these steps in action, you will teach your child how to have high self—esteem, and reinforce the value that the Tiny Dragons Prep Course Program provides.
LITTLE DRAGONS AGE 5 AND 6
RED DRAGONS AGE 7-9
The Red Dragons Prep Course
The Red Dragons Prep Course was designed because the average 7 to 9 year old is still not quite ready for the traditional junior martial arts programme,even with previous experience in the preschool program, Although children this age have the drive and motivation to keep up with a 12-year-old there motivation drops the minute they feel like they are falling behind, for this reason the average 7 - 9 year old progress smarter and faster if they were separated into their own program that met their specific physical emotional social and intellectual characteristics and limitations.
Childrens learning curves increase when they are seperated by age groups ,That is why the Red Dragons Prep Course is so effective.We have discovered that the majority of children ages 7 to 9 are still not quite ready for the extreme physical,mental ,social and emotional challenges that are faced in a traditional childrens martial arts program . Before, this was just a concept that reasonably applied to 5 and 6 year olds , But recent studies have shown that 7 to 9 year olds have distinct charcateristics in their stage of dvelopment that vary from the 10 to 14 year old stage.
Here is a breakdown of the characteristics in the average 7 to 9 year old stage of development
1. Intellectuality, 7 to 9 year old are now at the thinking stage where they can focus on a task for more than just a few minutes, However, they are only capable of retaining information in small portions; therfore the Prep Course curriculum only contains memorization material in smalll doses , The 7 to 9 year olds will work on developing skills necerssary to build on their concentration.
2. Emotionally, this age group is the most motivated gae group out of the 3 to 14 year olds, They like to be challenged and learn new things, The Prep Course contains many challenging tasks and drills that will build their courage . Emotionally , courage is neccesary for a 7 to 9 year old to have before entering into the 10 to 14 year old program.
3. Socially, at this age group, they are more comfortable working with peers their own age, they team belter and train harder through social support they also like to take turns so that they can evaluate and learn from their peers. This gives them more motwation to preservere in challenges and adds intensity to their training.
4.Physically. 7 - 9 year olds have refined basic motor skilts, and are ready to pick up on more comptex physical chaltenges. However, they are not quite ready tor extreme execution of these new challenging physical devetopments. They will learn how to fine- tune there speed.agility, technique. and flexibility without the burden of incoporatng these skills into a overwhelming amount of comprehensive martial arts curriculum.
8 Fundamental skills
BLUE DRAGONS AGE 10-14